8 Feb 2014

MiniDSP - Part 3


Since my last post I now have the Traco switch mode power supply which has outputs to power the MiniSHARC (5V) and the two DACs (5V and +15V, -15V). I have also sorted out the problems I was having trying to connect the DAC to the amp. As mentioned earlier when I connected the two the DSP board would turn off, very frustrating! I have worked out what the problem was. I had the DAC wired incorrectly to the MiniSHARC. I misread the pin numbering on the MiniSHARC and had soldered the ribbon cables to the wrong pins. To be fair they weren't exactly labelled clearly. One image shows two columns of 1 to 15 then 16 -30 right next to an image of the MiniSHARC with two rows of pins, so naturally I thought the top left pin was 1 then the one below 2 etc. This was not the case and another picture shows pin 1 labelled in the bottom right corner, but not where pin 2 was. After asking on the forum I got a response (pin two is on left of pin 1).



I then found this picture:






I de-soldered my mistake and corrected it. I plugged it into the new power supply and connected the amp. Hooray! The reason the MiniSHARC had kept turning off before was because the DAC was connected to a 3.3V power rail on one of the pins, so when I connected the amp it was just shorting out. Here is a video of it working with a woofer and tweeter (at this point I only had 1 DAC connected)




Here is the Traco power supply connected to everything. The green PCB on the right is the filter board. I haven't ordered the components for it yet. It works without but I should get less noise once its in use.



From left to right:
5V  |  Ground  |  +15V |  Ground  |  -15V 







I set up a quick crossover, LR 48db/octave at 2200Hz. I also added a highpass filter at 45Hz for the woofer. I'll have a proper play with all the settings once the drivers and amp are in an enclosure. There's not much point at the moment. There is no bass at the moment either but this is likely to be because of the lack of a cabinet. Over the next week or two I expect to have built (or nearly finished) the enclosures, built and added the filter board. and soldered the wires and resistor for the LED lights for the front of the speaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment