9 Feb 2014

Drivers and Bass Ports


After lots of research into loudspeaker drivers and loudspeaker configurations I decided on a two-way bass reflex design. I would have preferred to do a three-way bass reflex design or a sealed two-way with a sub woofer. It was simply too expensive to create such a set up as I would need 6 amplifier channels for a three-way design.


I found a UK supplier called Falcon Acoustics, they sell loads of drivers from different companies. The Scan-Speak drivers stood out to be good value for money, particularly there 'budget' range called the discovery range, they are by no means 'budget' drivers though. I got a 6.5-inch woofer and 1-inch tweeter. Both are 8ohm which is a bit unusual for a tweeter (most are 6ohm or 4ohm).

The woofer is the Scan-Speak 18W/8434G00 (Midwoofer)
and its datasheet: Woofer Datasheet

The tweeter is the Scan-Speak D2608/913000
and its datasheet: Tweeter Datasheet




I balanced the woofer and tweeter on some random stuff so they are all lined up with the port on what would be the baffle. Also, here is a size comparison of the woofer compared with one of my KRK VXT 6's which has a 6-inch woofer. I'd say at 1st glance the KRK woofer looks larger because it has a larger dust cap and the rubber surround is much larger. I imagine the KRK woofer has a larger xmax and maximum mechanical excursion because of these features but I don't know because they don't tell you those sort of things... I measured the diamter of each and the Scan-Speak woofer is indeed the larger of the too.




No comments:

Post a Comment